2.27.2008

No Intelligence Allowed XV

Sat, 23 Feb 2008

Re: #317 John B. Sandlin said:
>> "Did you coin a new term in isoclysm? That’s one
>> I’m not familiar with either. A uniform washout?"


One might think that. However, 'isoclysm' (approximately, single-wash, or uniform-wash as you properly noted) is a direct translation of the French technical word 'ISOCLYSME' which comes from the following paper:

"...du Gerdemain’s publication is in the French journal Recherches de la me. Chos. et de la Thermodynamique. The citation is: Auguste du Gerdemain, Recherches de la me. Chos. et de la Thermodynamique, Vol 42, No. XIV, pgs. 21-35, (1879). The BnF should have this journal archived."
--M.E. Witt

I hope that this is an adequate reference.

Re: #323 Marcus Williams said:
"Then Mr. Witt went on to provide some calculations with obfuscating language and a reference to a paper from 1828.

You might want to read something more current. ..."

Sorry, I made a mistake as I was typing while mad. So little honest discussion is part of this discourse. I had meant the term to contain:

[(h-bar)k][(h-bar)k] not 2 [(h-bar)k].

Indeed, I have done so and frequently. Please see the reference given at the beginning of this note.

Re: #323 Marcus Williams further said:
"I’m only a biologist, and even I know that."

Galatians 5,20-21 may be a proper response to this claim.

Dangerous and deadly are the cardinal sins of PRIDE, Lust, Greed, Wrath, Avarice, Gluttony and SLOTH. In life, various PRIDES are difficult to avoid as are the other various sins in decreasing difficulty. Strangely enough, SLOTHS are relatively easy to avoid - at least, that is so in my experience. Typically, I cannot avoid wrath well at all.

On a daily basis along with various scripture, I try to remember the famous quotation from Catullus that ends "...res ineptior nulla est." It keeps me focussed on the serious nature of the matters at hand. Maybe it would also be of help.

Re: #323 Marcus Williams still further said:
"And G. Gonzalez, whom Mr. Witt also sites, has been refuted:"

I will agree that I cited him as a potential source for understanding mathematics - whether or not he could help is unclear from his publication record - BUT the link that you provided offers no refutation of my statement; clearly, my uncle, TOO, has a rake. Ignoratio elenchi seems popular on this site. What does it take to dispel these illogical arguments??!

Peace,

Mark Witt

New Haven, CT

No comments: